Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fab Quilt Swap 2

Fab Quilt Swap 2 Mosaic by davenjilly
Fab Quilt Swap 2 Mosaic, a photo by davenjilly on Flickr.

Well, the second round of the amazing Fab Quilt Swap is starting soon, and I just made my mosaic full of fresh, new favorites.

As I was writing notes on my photos (you can click on my Flikr badge if you want to read them), I realized that my tastes, especially in mini- quilts is becoming more about deconstruction. I love a lot of traditional quilt patterns re-interpreted in new fabric, but also a lot of traditional patterns deconstructed and re-interpreted, or images free peiced in fabric, which is another kind of deconstruction, isn't it?

In any case, partner, here is a mosaic of some of my favorite recent quilts and quilt blocks. Take them as inspiration and interpret them how you will. I know you are an amazing quilter, and that I will love what you take from this mosaic or from my favorites and re-interpret into something brilliant of your own. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. What do you mean by deconstructed/deconstruction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question!

    Deconstruction is the process of taking apart a traditional art form (eg - a quilt block, a picture, a poem, an image) and then putting part or all of it back together in a different way that brings a new meaning or perspective on the original.

    So, the log cabin block on the bottom right has taken away all but the corner section of the log cabin block, while the quilt on the bottom left has taken the idea of a block and changed it by free piecing it so that it looks like the block is reflected in water or shifting in a bent mirror.

    The collage or free peiced quilts (like the kind of thing that dwiter or lolablueocean or lucyellen on Flikr do) take apart the shapes of a flower or a chair or teapot (deconstruction) and then give it new "meaning" by their reconstruction of the image in a non-realistic, fabric format. So a simple teapot or tea cup becomes a series of angles and lines that our brain still "reads" as "cup" but also as geometric shapes and as something derived (based on) traditional quilting. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete