Monday, March 11, 2013

Urban Sugaring Off?

I love following some of the crunchy family-in-the-woods type blogs. All of those bloggers that live in my part of the world (although mostly across the border) are tapping their maples and sugaring off right now.

I was wondering what would happen if you tried to tap trees in the city? Can you imagine? Me and my family trekking through NDG, tapping maples in public parks and along sidewalks. Happy blogger photos of my kids checking the pails as ambulances and garbage trucks wizz by or boiling maple sap on my back porch with photos of the fire escapes of the 10 other duplexes behind my house fading into the horizon.  Me selling jars of my maple syrup at the Jean Talon market . . . it could go on and on. Could I call it another variety of urban farming?

Who owns the sap in the city's maple trees, anyway?

3 comments: